Gluten Freedom?

I have been suffering (literally) with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) for over ten years.  I have been through every test and procedure known to man to try and figure out what's wrong with me.  Turns out that the tests always come back "completely normal".  It sucks hearing that because more often than not I feel anything but.  I've been told off and on that maybe my problem is gluten, even though the test came back, you guessed it...normal.

I've never wanted to do it because it just seemed too hard.  It seems like gluten is in everything, even things you'd never think about.  Marinades? Spaghetti sauce?  Salad dressing?  Really?!  I also thought it would be crazy expensive.  I have so many symptoms so often, I figured it was time to take the plunge.  So, at the urging of my nutritionist I decided to give it a try.

You know, a lot of the things we already buy are gluten free.  Of course it's when you start trying to buy gluten free bread, crackers and the like it gets to be pretty expensive.  I've found a couple of products that I really like and a couple that I can definitely do without.  The hardest part is trying to eat out.  It's really frustrating to look at a large menu and only being able to order from a handful of things on the menu.  It's easier to just eat at home...especially when I have an amazing husband who is also an amazing cook.  :)

It's been almost a month and I don't think that gluten free is my problem.  On the good side, that means that Kneaders' all-you-can-eat french toast and pancakes are back in my future.  On the bad side, I'm still suffering from symptoms.  I'm not done with the experiment yet.  Honestly, I need to get off of the pain pills from my surgery first to know if there are any real changes happening.  I guess it's all just a waiting game.

Comments

Popular Posts